AutoShrine Sponsor

Lil MK 4 Avatar
Lil MK 4 Dennis Mattson
Henderson, NV, USA   USA
1965 Chevrolet Corvair
1966 Chevrolet Corvair "Monza Coupe - Rare Factory AC"
1968 Austin-Healey Sprite "The Go-Kart"
2001 Ford Mustang    & more
May not be the fastest car .. but it IS THEE MOST FUN CAR to drive EVER !!!! and price of Premium Fuel doesn't matter... It's a 4 cylinder...

Many cars in my life ... many Mustangs, Camaros, etc.. got a new 124 Spider... BEST car of my life..... Last daily was a Mustang BULLITT GT... Sale pending...

I always love the vintage Fiat 124 Spiders... So I got the new one in 2016... I didnt like the new MX-5 when I bought my new 124.. but now.. I Love Love Love the MX-5 ND.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
davzway David W
Fort McCoy, FL, USA   USA
if Miata just had space behind seat like 124 Spyder (put two car seats, adding seat belts, bolt holes there, for young children to ride safely,,, the LAST small sports car owned,, even SAAB Sonett III had space for 'children' and with rear hatch worked when only one boy, vacationing at Fonta Dam resort, using Sonett III with wife, son and gear for ten day vacation..)

Cannot do that with Miata,, even with Luggage Rack. LOVE MIATA, OWNING THREE, 1996 stock, 1992 (not stock, set up for racing),, and BEST of all, NC 2011 Miata Touring with PRHT,, the best of all worlds with permanent SS luggage rack on trunk lid deck,, TWO person weekend.. still best small most fun sports car,, traded for CX-3 nd missed from day one.

AN5L8016 Avatar
AN5L8016 Mark Haynes
Nederland, CO, USA   USA
Thanks Guys, I think that i'm going to pass on the '93, I was just willed a couple of modern MINIs- my place looks like a used car lot! Plus, anymore cars, and SWMBO would have me sleeping in the garage, or the cars eye popping smiley

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
tim65mgb Avatar
tim65mgb Silver Member Tim Guntly
Cherry Valley, IL, USA   USA
1960 Daimler V8-250 "SP250"
1980 MG MGB
2007 Mazda MX-5 NC "The Mistress"
2013 Ford Edge
Just sold mx 07 mx5 . Staying with my faithful mgb.

AN5L8016 Avatar
AN5L8016 Mark Haynes
Nederland, CO, USA   USA
the finger smiley

davzway David W
NOT all at same time, Renealt Caravell (both tops), Sunbeam Tiger, Datsun 2000 roadster, MGB, MGB/GT, Fiat 124 Spyder, SAAB Sonett III, Miata NA 1996 Stock, Miata NA 1992 Full Custom Racing, Miata 2011 Touring PRHT (BEST of all Miata's, , NC with Power Retractable Hard Top)

davzway David W
Those were the days in '60's GT hardtop had a/c which in Florida had it's advantages,, did not enjoy adjusting those SU carbs every 2-3000 miles, they even make a stainless luggage rack for Miata that is spittin' image of the one owned on MGB.

zoom2xtn Avatar
zoom2xtn Lee Davis
Johnson City, TN, USA   USA
2002 Mazda MX-5 "ZOOM ZOOM"
2008 Mazda MX-5 "ZOOM-ZOOM-ZOOM"
I think using Reg. is OK; simply produces less power. If you do not floor the accelerator pedal it should not affect anything. If you are enjoying your Miata to the fullest and flooring it, burn Prem.

davzway David W
When I purchased 2011 Miata Touring in 2014, Dealer filled tank before I left with Regular (despite label on inside of gas tank door saying Premium).
Checked Edmunds site which LISTS cars which MUST use Premium , and another where premium is suggested but OK to use regular--- 2011 Miata is on list where 'regular' is OK> Did first three tanks with regular, averaged 26+ mpg. Switched to Premium gas for four tanks, averaged 30+ (ran from 29.8 to 33.5 depending on how much was Highway vs Town driving). Even with $0.50 added cost of Premium, it was slightly CHEAPER to use Premium insofar as cost per mile. Car was noticeably more 'peppy' on Premium.. NO valve clatter, no hesitation or lugging on regular, just ran better on Premium and cost was better- so obviously computer was compensating for differences in gas- BUT for reason stated, next four years used Premium.

zoom2xtn Avatar
zoom2xtn Lee Davis
Johnson City, TN, USA   USA
2002 Mazda MX-5 "ZOOM ZOOM"
2008 Mazda MX-5 "ZOOM-ZOOM-ZOOM"
After reading some of the other posts, like the one just prior from Davzway, it seems like Prem. is preferred and actually ends up being CHEAPER to run since the MPG increases with Prem.

davzway David W
KEEP records of gas mileage (days of 60-98k per year driving)... seeing gas mileage gives early indication for problems developing,,, spark plugs etc.,, one tank fill up doesn't give much, however, 6-10 fill ups does, as well as monthly to annual keeping track. Since Dealer had put in regular, did four tanks to see how car ran and mileage, then five with Premium, premium was CHEAPER per mile even with $0.50 ADDED cost for premium,
Done as COST per mile that's just ...................... :><: ^><: confused,,, davzway

samsonsg303 Avatar
samsonsg303 Stanley Samson
Victoria, BC, Canada   CAN
1992 Mazda MX-5 "Red Lady"
1998 Chrysler Sebring "Converti"
2004 Kia Amanti "Monty"
2012 Lexus ES "My Hybrid"
I looked at the 124's and the Miatas last year and they were almost identical considering that both come from the same factory.

124's are now advertised as 'Italian designed'. Of course Japanese made. Excellent vehicles both.

davzway David W
LIKELY MAY BE WRONG. BUT, my experience with Fiat 124 Spyder was the WORST for ANY car (~ 75 or so, buying new nearly every year , driving 60-98k per year miles), quality wasn't there, 20-trips to dealer in six months to fix, gear shift attachment plastic part NEVER got fixed and always had hand inside leather boot to hold lever coming out of transmission to SHIFT car,, a little over a year (LOT of miles due to driving as construction estimator / project manager) NEVER so happy when car was sold, comfortable, great handling, place to attach car seats / safety belt for children, but a NIGHTMARE to own.

samsonsg303 Avatar
samsonsg303 Stanley Samson
Victoria, BC, Canada   CAN
1992 Mazda MX-5 "Red Lady"
1998 Chrysler Sebring "Converti"
2004 Kia Amanti "Monty"
2012 Lexus ES "My Hybrid"
That could be why they switched the manufacturing to the Mazda Miata assembly line???
Fiat offer a smaller turbo engine while Mazda stick to their 4 cylinder regular engine.

davzway David W
ANYTHING had to be be better than what Fiat was producing then,,, MAY be a mistake today; however, there is NO chance regardless of discounts, tech installed, or whatever propaganda is said, THIS IS ONE CUSTOMER WHO WILL NOT EVER , EVER, BUY ANOTHER FIAT again. ONCE was one time too many as was couple dozen trips to dealer to fix problems, same problems, over and over again. having to rent a car transfer gear to continue with construction estimating, .. opinions, everyone has them. bought upwards to 75 vehicles, having better picture than most while driving 60-98,000 miles per YEAR> davzway

FYI: ONLY other vehicle coming close was not a sports car, it was 1984 and 1985 JEEP Cherokee 4x4 SUV wagons,, First was disaster, when totaled by migrant worker with overloaded truck of oranges,,,,,,, custom ordered SECOND Jeep Cherokee,, even worse than first vehicle.. Everyone making product will have 'issues' and it is HOW a company deals with those 'issues' that separates, good from not so good or the bad, or really 'Bad' product,

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1999 Mazda Miata

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links