paddle shifter opinions

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

sbrambo Avatar
sbrambo Scott Rambo
Murfreesboro, TN, USA   USA
1979 MG MGB
2009 Mazda MX-5
I'm thinking about getting a Miata and would drive it as much as possible. Not sure I want to get stuck in the slow commute into Nashville with a manual transmission. Wondered what folks who had them thought of the paddle shifting. I would rather have a manual in my heart but not sure it wouldn't end up driving me nuts with my normal driving. I haven't commuted in a manual car since the early 90s.

Thoughts?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
naftaking Tom LaPierre
mooers, Upstate New York, USA   USA
I have both a manual and a automatic with paddle shifters. I love them both, but for ease of driving everyday, the automatic is the best option in heavy traffic. Having to shift up and down every few seconds gets old fast. The automatic will down shift on it's own should something distract you and cause you to stop suddenly, you don't have to keep reaching for a clutch with your left leg or hold the darn thing down constantly in stopped traffic. On Miata club rides the paddles shift great on curvy roads, but nothing like a 6 speed manual. You will have to make that trade off for the sake of a better drive on you daily commute. Both cars are fun rides and a smile never leaves my face in either car, but for a daily ride to work, less work is better for me.

RemodNC David M
Garner, NC, USA   USA
I too love the 6 speed stick, but with a 45 minute commute in heavy traffic, and test driving a 2006 Touring with the paddle shifters, I found I could have my cake and eat it too! Put it in regular auto for the madding stop and go, and when you get to the back roads, put in manual and use the paddle shifters. These early trans respond best when driven like a stick, you should let off the gas a bit in the shift up. And this little gem of a motor wakes up and GITS at about 4k!!!! The downshifts are fast and crisp. And who doesn't like the feel of engine braking!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
garypNJ Avatar
garypNJ Gary Peatick
Hillsborough, NJ, USA   USA
I also have one of each, I have a 2002 with a 5 speed and a 2011 Touring with paddle shifters. I really do love both cars although neither one gets driven very often. It is really a tough call I love the 5 speed and for me I really do not think the paddle shifters add anything to the automatic experience. When I drive the automatic I tend to just leave it in drive, I have experimented with the paddle shifters and I find the shifting is a mess.

I guess in the end if you enjoy the spirited driving of a stick shift, on the weekends then you might need to put up with the stick all week. Or better yet buy 2!!!!!

zoom2xtn Avatar
zoom2xtn Lee Davis
Johnson City, TN, USA   USA
2002 Mazda MX-5 "ZOOM ZOOM"
2008 Mazda MX-5 "ZOOM-ZOOM-ZOOM"
fantastic. you will love them. for the commute you do nothing. for fun in the twisties the downshifts with Rev matching are awesome and no human can shift as fast as the computer on the upshifts

JAYJAY JAY D
PLANTSVILLE, CT, USA   USA
2006 Mazda MX-5
2006 Mazda MX-5 "LITTLE RED"
I JUST GOT MY USED MIATA AND I NOTICED THAT THE AUTO TRANS MODELS COULD BE FOUND AT A FAR LOWER PRICE THAN A STANDARD TRANS MIATA

zoom2xtn Avatar
zoom2xtn Lee Davis
Johnson City, TN, USA   USA
2002 Mazda MX-5 "ZOOM ZOOM"
2008 Mazda MX-5 "ZOOM-ZOOM-ZOOM"
you will love the paddles shifter! no human can shift as fast. no human can heel and toe with such precision on the downshifts as you slow down upon entering a curve. it revs up to the exact RPM for the current speed at the next lower gear. I also have both. 2002 s/c'd 5 spd (it's so fast it's scary) and 2008 paddle shifters PRHT

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-26 06:23 AM by zoom2xtn.

JAYJAY JAY D
PLANTSVILLE, CT, USA   USA
2006 Mazda MX-5
2006 Mazda MX-5 "LITTLE RED"
True that they shift faster but so much of that old school and very enjoyable true sports car experience is lost . There is only one place that a manual falls short to me and that is when I am stuck in bumper to bumper traffic .

sundomes Vincent Harper
Rayleigh, Essex, UK   GBR
Hi

I have a MK1 MX5 and it's an auto, I bought it because I lost my left leg above the knee.
How do I convert it to paddle shift, can you steer me in the right direction.
HELP.

Many thanks

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1989 Mazda MX 5

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links