Visit our Twitter feed for more great content
MX5World

MX5 Miata Tech Forum

Trunk lid sprung

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Dwoody96 David W
Alameda, CA, USA   USA
Curious to see if anyone has had any experience with this.
I had the unfortunate event of a moron rear ending my 96 MX5. Not hard and no visible damage save for some small scratches on the bumper and turning my "Mazda" emblem into an "azda" emblem.
But then, as luck would have it, I noticed a few days later that the trunk lid is sprung just a hair.
It still closes completely but it's definitely not the same in that it's not as snug. I can make it rattle every so slightly by pressing down on the lid.
Wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to how I might adjust this back to it's original condition or if this is just one of those things that we have to live with.
Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-15 10:56 AM by Dwoody96.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
MarioO Avatar
MarioO Silver Member Mario Ordonez
Fort Myers, FL, USA   USA
First thing, you never have to live with a rattle or ill fitting trunk lid. The problem is that the little rear end cause minor damage to the body and the trunk opening is no long true, and the lid doesn't seat evenly anymore. The latch that holds the lid firmly had change position, the lid hings are sprung or the spring rods have also shifted and no longer provides even spring pressure to hold the lid firmly sealed.

BrtHrst Avatar
BrtHrst Bert Hurst
Houston, TX, USA   USA
Pretty much the same story here. Trunk latch alignment is not quite true. MarioO describes the problem but doesn't offer a solution. I hate to pay for such a minor glitch. Thinking if I just bang on something in the trunk in the right way, all will be good again.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
MarioO Avatar
MarioO Silver Member Mario Ordonez
Fort Myers, FL, USA   USA
I didn't give any solutions or fixes, because I felt that if I listed all the possible causes and or areas that could be affected by the rear ending, you would inspect those locations and find what needed to be fixed. Not see a photo of the truck lid and truck area I couldn't begin to tell you how to fix it. I hope you inspect those items I listed or better yet take it to a body shop and have them find the problem. Be sure you are there when they inspect the car and show you what needs to be fixed and you get an itemized list of the work and parts need to be done with a quote of labor and parts. If you don't they may gold plate the work and hand you a big big bill.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

2001 Mazda MX 5 NB

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links