Visit our Twitter feed for more great content
MX5World

MX5 Miata Tech Forum

Organic or synthetic ?

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

leesmx5 Lee Oberg
Bay Saint Louis, MS, USA   USA
I've recently bought a one owner, 2007 MX-5 sport w/76,000 miles on it.
I don't know the vehicles history with the exception of the Carfax report.
Question is: can/should I use 100% synthetic oil ? If so, what weight ?
5w20 synthetic ?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
MarioO Avatar
MarioO Silver Member Mario Ordonez
Fort Myers, FL, USA   USA
If this miata is a one owner car, and you bought the car from that owner, he/she should be able to tell you what type of oil the car used. If the car did not come with any history of maintenance then all you have is to check the dip stick, if it was well maintained the oil is light amber and free of particles it is a good indication that the oil has been changed at regular intervals. the 206 Miata is a 2 litre engine and originally used synthetic oil. If the oil appears to be dark brown dirty and thick then at some point the owner switched to regular oil. There is the possibility that because of your location the original owner used a heavier weight oil in winter. Read up on the benefits of synthetic oil vs organic, and lastly ask a trusted mechanic what you need to do if what to switch back to synthetic and if it benefits making that change.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

2000 Mazda MX 5

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links