MX5 Miata Tech Forum

Fuel Cap

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Fuel Cap
  This topic is about my 2016 Mazda MX-5
ragman Don C
Louisville, KY, USA   USA
Hey guys and gals, I forgot to put my gas cap back on after refueling and drove the car for about 18 miles. The next AM my car would not start. I messed around with a few things and then remove the gas cap and re-installed it and the car started. It started every time I tried it the rest of the day. If I let the car sit overnight I have to remove/loosen the gas cap before it will start. I put my OBD in and it says there is no problems. I've tried disconnecting the Negative cable on the battery to re-program the computer, that didn't work. I drove a half tank of gas out and refueled, that didn't work. I checked my gas cap and it looks ok. Anyone have an idea please let me know.
Thanks, Don

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
davzway David W
Fort McCoy, FL, USA   USA
When driving with gas cap off; any chance gas cap was damaged in any way? Found out computer HATES a Locking gas cap,, just not sealed way computer believes gas cap should be sealed AND ended with car not running correctly, engine lights coming on and so on. Tried putting a NEW gas cap on? davzway

ps: once ORIGINAL gas cap was replaced and locking stored in garage with all rest of CANNOT be USED Parts, my car returned to normal.

ragman Don C
No, no damage to fuel cap.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ragman Don C
Ok guys I solved the problem.
I will take you from the beginning. I drove my car about 20 miles without putting the fuel cap back on. The next morning the car would not start. So I think to myself it's got something to do with the fuel cap so I take it off and re-install it. The car starts right up. This goes on for about 3 days and reading the forums and driving etc. I think that eventually the problem will quit. So about the 4th or 5th day I I tried to start it again, didn't start. So I disconnected the negative battery terminal to reprogram the computer. The car started right up. This is the way I started the car for the next few days because removing the gas cap and re-installing didn't work anymore. Then I went to start it up and nothing. Disconnecting the negative battery cable and the fuel cap wasn't working anymore and it wasn't responding to anything. So I start thinking it has something to do with my key fob so I try to lock the car and nothing happens. So I get into the owners manual and find out the batteries only last about 1 year. So I go buy 2 new batteries because both key fobs were dead.
LOL Put the new batteries in the key fobs and the car started right up.
So if you're ever driving your car and forget to put the gas cap back on and your car won't start the next morning check your battery in the key fob instead of thinking it has something to with the evap system.
The batteries in my Honda key fobs lasted 8 yrs before I had to replace them so I never thought the key fobs were a problem. LOL

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1990 Mazda MX 5

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links