MX5World

MX5 Miata Tech Forum

engine issue

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

tubabone Avatar
tubabone Ken Kemmerer
Fleetwood, PA, USA   USA
Hello all, I have a 2001 Miata, base model with 58K miles. I have been having an issue this summer and no one can seem to figure it out.

Occasionally while driving if I hit a bump in the road, my car will shut down. It has happened about 8 times so far.

After I coast to a stop, it will start right up again. Sometimes I can even compression start it while rolling along.

The check engine light did stay on once for about a day, but usually it does not stay on after an incident.

Since this has started, I have had some major maintenance done, timing belt, water pump, plugs, ignition wires, serpentine belts, etc. They found a code from when the check engine light stayed on and changed a crankshaft position sensor, but that did not fix the issue.

Any ideas? All suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

ken k

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
MarioO Avatar
MarioO Silver Member Mario Ordonez
Fort Myers, FL, USA   USA
One possible cause of shut down when hitting a bump is a faulty frame ground, however, with all the work you've had done and the mechanic is aware of your problem they should have found it by now. locate the frame ground in the engine bay or second location on the chassis and make sure that the connection isn't rusty, the bolt is tight and the cable is not loose in the connector and also look for a broken cable or cut cable that moves when you hit a jarring bump or series of bumps. A loose or damage ground cable can create resistance or intermittent open circuit condition.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

2001 Mazda MX 5

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links