MX5World

MX5 Miata Tech Forum

drivetrain lubricants

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

johnmon Avatar
johnmon John Benecke
Asheville, NC, USA   USA
I recently found a 99 Miata with 45K miles with just the right color. Green with tan top and tan leather interior. As a x mechanic and having found the stock car to be more than sufficient performance wise for my needs, I am mostly interested in the best maintenance. After some research I replaced the engine oil, transmission fluid and differential fluid with Red Line synthetic lubricants.

10-30 in the engine
75w 90 GL4 in the transmission
75w-90 GL5 in the differential

Almost immediately the engine ran smoother and gas mileage improved. Now after about 2500 miles the transmission shifts very smoothly and there is less noise overall. The whole drivetrain spins more freely. Quite happy.

Highly recommend red line and especially GL4 in the transmission. Anyone have similar experiences.

Love my Miata!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
1Hilltopmike Avatar
1Hilltopmike Michael Adams
Abilene, TX, USA   USA
I used Royal Purple Synthetic differential and 6 speed tranny. ( 5 & 6 in one bottle ) And I use 5 W 30 Mobile One Synthetic in the engine. Mine is a 2000 Miata MX-5 Special Edition. 47,000 mi.
Runns great !

bryanova Bryan St Louis
Holbrook, NY, USA   USA
I use amsoil for the engine and differential, but used ford's motorcraft lube for the transmission. (5 speed) The difference in shifting smoothness was very much smoother, with no first to second gear "click".. My car is a mica green 2000 base model with 55,000 miles and i love it.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

2000 Mazda MX 5

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links