MX5World

Performance Forum

run flat tires

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

true red dick Dick Riner
matteson, IL, USA   USA
2013 Mazda MX-5 "Truered"
Anyone had expeience with the "run flat tires" ?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
JAYJAY JAY D
PLANTSVILLE, CT, USA   USA
2006 Mazda MX-5
2006 Mazda MX-5 "LITTLE RED"
My 2006 only has 13k on it and still has original RFT's on it. I recently got a flat and I couldn't even tell until the tire had severe internal damage and a ruined tire . Because of that and high cost and the fact that I couldn't tell that I had a flat (rear) I replaced the pair . I had no problem with the tires other that the RFT component so I replaced the rear pair
with the same tire in the non RFT version. I went from Bridgestone Potenza RFT to Bridgestone Potenza Sports

patchelect Avatar
patchelect Paul T
Patchogue, New York, USA   USA
I never owned RF until a few years ago when I bought a Mini Vert that came with them. The concept is good, but the execution is bad. Run Flats are mostly heavy sidewalls and treads resulting in terrible unsprung weights giving lousy rides. In the case of the Mini there was no spare at all since the car wasn't designed to carry one so I wound up getting a mini spare and a jack. The spare rode as a back seat passenger strapped in with the seatbelt. I made a cover out of old towels and it stayed there all the time. I also don't live in a high theft area so it wasn't an issue for me. For the Miata I would NEVER get runrocks. Flats are few and far between these days, unlike in the previous decades, and generally a flat that you can fix with some air is bad enough that you need a new tire anyway so a runrock won't help. They only give you a "limp home" feature, like a mini spare. And any perceived weight savings by not carrying a mini spare and jack is more than offset by the extreme weights of the run flat tires themselves.

Buy good tires that handle instead. Dunlop Dirreza Star Specs come to mind.

Paul
'02 NB bought 8/15 with 33K from the original owner.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
John W Avatar
John W John Wassung
Durban, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa   ZAF
The rule is DO NOT fit run flats to a MX5 even though there is no spare wheel. The MX5 is very sensitive to unsprung weight and these tyres are much heaver than an equivalent normal tyre and their design causes tram lining and other directional stability and comfort problems.

JAYJAY JAY D
2006 Mazda MX-5
Than why did Mazda install them as original equipment ? I am not replacing the tires with run flats . I got a flat and ruined the tire because I couldn't tell it was flat. Bridgestone Potenzas is what they came with.

patchelect Avatar
patchelect Paul T
Manufacturers are looking for packaging as well as weight. I don't know the scientific details but the run flats made it easier to omit the spare and all the necessary accessories that went along with it. That may have allowed a lower weight because certain parts of the vehicle could be designed differently, resulting in less steel being used.

Years ago, Michelin had a tire/wheel combination that was foisted off on the public. Ford used it on the Mustang and a few other cars. The sizes were completely metric, rim OD and all. They seemed to last a few years before they dropped off the face of the earth. Maybe runflats will do the same thing~

Paul

JAYJAY JAY D
2006 Mazda MX-5
That makes sense , RFT and the repair kit and compressor and they could drop the spare. I have a yellow mag type spare from a RX7 that I put in the trunk when I drive long distances

Slowmover Trevor Baxter
West Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
I have a 2007 PRHT and have considered RFT's. I have heard too many comments on what happens when the tire does go flat. Then I considered an emergency spare. The problem with that is what do you do with the flat once it's changed over?

patchelect Avatar
patchelect Paul T
I ask the question. When was the last time you had a disabling flat on any vehicle? For me I believe it was 20 or more years ago. Leaks? Yes, but even with a leak I know how long it takes to become undrivable and check the TP frequently enough so I can monitor it until I have the time to repair it. Catastrophic failure? Always a possibility, but unlikely. I will say that I'm not comfortable driving without a spare myself, but the reality is having a AAA membership is the only thing you really need. And if I owned a Miata that had no room for a spare I would learn to accept it as a reality, or else find a model that did carry one, even if it is a mini version.

Having already experienced run flats I would avoid them at all costs. Others may disagree and that is their option.

Paul

John W Avatar
John W John Wassung
Durban, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa   ZAF
Hi guys

Sorry I seem to have stirred things up again with the run flats

Firstly I have nothing against run flat tires, good concept, excellent for the wife’s/family car with the kids. Not good for a light sports car, as one member said he had a flat and hardly noticed it. The tyre walls are so thick and reinforced they easily support a MX5 without air – that is until you throw it into a corner and wonder why you are up side down in a corn field.

Why Mazda fitted run flats to the early MX5-NC’s. You try selling a car when they first came out with some goo and a tiny dodgy looking compressor – people at the time did not like the “biscuit” spare wheel they wanted a car with a proper spare wheel. As a writer said one seldom hears of a MX5 having major tire failure but it does happen, one pothole and you can tear a side wall. Furthermore the MX5-NC standard rim is very light and easily damaged. (do not use these rims/wheels on a heavy sedan car and likewise be careful of what rims you put on you MX5).

The safest solution is the “biscuit” spare wheel – see thread elsewhere on this forum. I have a biscuit spare wheel and it is mounted under the boot where that huge heavy silencer used to be. I will upload more information on this soon as others here in SA also want all the details.

The MX5 is a light nimble sports car and to obtain the best it should be fitted with the appropriate tyres. (then again if you are slow cruiser on back dirt roads then RF are probably for you – or maybe a 4X4)

JAYJAY JAY D
2006 Mazda MX-5
I couldn't tell I had a flat at first . I still have two of them on my 2006 (14k) . I never had this type of tire before and when the pair that I still have wear out I will not buy them again. The old guy that had the car before had purchased a yellow colored alloy wheel for a RX7 and placed it in the trunk as a spare . And as you say I think that the last actual on the road flat I got was 15 years ago. Bottom line I think run flats suck.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-23 11:31 AM by JAYJAY.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1990 Mazda MX 5

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links