MX5World

MX5 Miata Tech Forum

Oil Filter

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

RobD Avatar
RobD Rob Downie
South Coast NSW, Australia   AUS
Recently bought a 2000 MX5 NB 6 speed with 100,000km on the clock, in VGC - no complaints, EXCEPT changing the oil filter. Have seen some of the (expensive) relocation kits, but wondered if anyone has a simple trick to changing the filter. I lost most of the skin off my left knuckles doing the job, and filled the swear jar. And I used to curse the pommies for the way they put stuff under bonnets in Austin, Morris, MG !!!! Japanese must be contortionists.
So, any simple tricks? Or do I buy a relocation kit, and which one?

Rob D

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
miatasportscar Avatar
miatasportscar Gerald M Acquilano
Geneva, New York, USA   USA
Easiest way is to jack up right front wheel, remove the wheel. You can easily access the filter with the front wheel off. Simple, easy....
Gerry

RobD Avatar
RobD Rob Downie
South Coast NSW, Australia   AUS
Thanks Gerry. Will give it a try on next change.
Cheers
RobD

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
zoom2xtn Avatar
zoom2xtn Lee Davis
Johnson City, TN, USA   USA
2002 Mazda MX-5 "ZOOM ZOOM"
2008 Mazda MX-5 "ZOOM-ZOOM-ZOOM"
RobD
I put the Thompson relo kit on my 2002 and it is as slick as a wet minnow. I highly recommend it.

http://www.thompson-automotive.com/relocation.html

Lee

Shinsen774 Avatar
Shinsen774 Jim '64MGB
Glen Allen, Virginia, USA   USA
1964 MG MGB
2003 Mazda MX-5 NB "Shinsen Version #774"
I had the Thompson kit for many years. It worked well but it did start leaking after a while. I went back to the stock arrangement. If you turn the steering wheel hard to the left you can access the oil filter from underneath. Still, it is a tight squeeze.

mlvei Michael Veirs
Stamping Ground, Kentucky, USA   USA
I know this posting is from years ago, but I bought a 2004 Mazdaspeed MX5 new, after owning a 2002 MX5 previously. I have always changed oil on both since new. I have long skinny arms and found I could install the filter fairly easily through the hood IF the filter had grit covering on the end of it. I always buy a quality filter with the grit, stuff the area around the filter boss with paper towels and wipe up whatever they miss later. The standard ABS made it more difficult with the Mazdaspeed, but it can still be done. I have a garage but space is very limited and I found it easier and quicker to remove filter by hand.

bodine Geoff Ahrens
Melbourne, Florida, USA   USA
Rob:: K&N 1008 O/F has a 1" hex on the can. I found a old slight off set 12 pt. 1" box wrench and cut it into a 6" overall length. you can take off the filter from above to the bulkhead side of the compartment

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

2008 Mazda MX 5

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links