MX5World

MX5 Miata Tech Forum

airbag module burned up, now engine starts and stalls immediately

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Tandrus Tim A
Madisonville, Tennessee, USA   USA
Hi I'm new to MX5World. I need help. I have a 94 1.8L Miata NA. Was running great until the airbag module burned up and smoke filled the car and the car stalled. I have unplugged the 2 wire harnesses but the engine would not start. Found the engine fuse was blown. Replaced the fuse and the engine will start and stall immediately. I checked the fuel pump relay and it is good. I checked the fuel pump by jumping the f/p and ground in the diagnostic box and it makes noise. Had my wife start the car as a shot starting fluid into the intake and the car will run as long as I keep shooting starting fluid in it. Checked the wires when I pulled the relay out and the 2 slots next by the passenger side does not get continuity when I turn the car over. I tested the back right of the relay harness and get almost 12 volts. I read the ECU may be now be bad. I was able to start the car and pump the pedal and will run a little longer rough and die. I checked power getting to the fuel pump (because I'm running out of ideas) and it gets almost 12 volts.

Anybody have any other ideas or did the ECU get fried also. I thought these were to completely separate systems?

Update: I got an ecu from ebay and it does the same thing. When turn the key off, I can hear the fuel pump for a couple seconds then the pump shuts off. Does anybody have an idea where to look next?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-07 04:56 PM by Tandrus.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

2007 Mazda MX 5 NC

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links