MX5 Miata Tech Forum

NC Miata battery switch

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

mgb1 James Wiebe
ct, USA   USA
Gentleman,
Has anyone installed a battery disconnect switch to avoid the battery drain problem? Will continuously disconnecting the power supply do anything other than loosing radio presets? Thanks!
Jim

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
warpdrive Pieter Litchfield
Gansevoort, NY, USA   USA
2016 Mazda MX-5 "WARP DRV"
since my car is in a garage with electric outlets, I attach a very small (1 amp) battery maintainer for winter storage. You could incorporate a two pin trailer light connector and some ring terminals to permanently connect to the battery. My maintainer turns on at 14 volts and delivers a very small trickle charge.
If no power is available (outside storage), you might consider a solar maintainer. These plug into the "cigar lighter" outlet in most cases. In my case, during the months when the car is in use no maintenance is required. No lost presets.

TnMiataGuy Gary J
West Melbourne, Florida, USA   USA
2002 Mazda MX-5 "Gumby"
2017 Mazda MX-5
I too have used a battery minder (smart charger) for cars not driven often. C-Tek makes a nice simple unit available on Amazon last time I checked.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
redhott Graeme Ott
Port Colborne, Ontario, Canada   CAN
Car manuals tell u to disconnect battery for working on A dis onnect switch mounted on the negative post is easiest.

TrishaTruly Patricia Brooke
Palm Coast, FL, USA   USA
I installed a battery disconnect on my 2001 and used it for the winter months when I wasn't driving it. Worked great! Better to reset clocks than having to buy a new battery!

zoomboy Avatar
zoomboy Rob Merritt
Irvine, California, USA   USA
I purchased a Deltran "Smart" charger for my 2001 SE. I took the time to install the supplied o-ring connectors onto the battery. This allows the charger to be moved to use on another vehicle with the clip on connectors. This seems to be doing the job as my Miata starts right up.

Attachments:
Deltran Charger.jpg    31 KB
Deltran Charger.jpg

jjirish Avatar
jjirish Jerry Irish
Spencer, IN, USA   USA
2008 Mazda MX-5 "Christine"
On NC models, if you disconnect you will also have to reset your DSC. That will build up your biceps.

tim65mgb Avatar
tim65mgb Silver Member Tim Guntly
Cherry Valley, Illinois, USA   USA
1960 Daimler V8-250 "SP250"
1967 Jaguar 340
1971 MG MGB GT
1976 MG MGB    & more
I have battery tender I will install before winter storage. I have the anti theft immobilizer package. I think you need a code to activate the radio...which I dont have. Even if the bsttery is dosconnected it should see a trickle charge at least once a month.

mazlary Larry Stivers
San Antonio, TX, USA   USA
DSC = Dynamic Stability Control??

TrishaTruly Patricia Brooke
Palm Coast, FL, USA   USA
I disconnect my battery with a battery switch over the winter, otherwise I have to buy a new battery!

bruceracing Ivy Han
???, ???, China   CHN
Do you want a new silicone kits for your NC?

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1996 Mazda Miata NA

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links