AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

timing belt replacement
  This topic is about my 1992 Mazda MX-5
liata Avatar
liata Linda Gilbert
Parkton, MD, USA   USA
Does a timing belt need to be replaced because of age or because of mileage? My miata is a 92 with 10,000 miles,garaged.Thinkng of selling it.Some one said it would need a new timing belt,I have taken great care of it.Just wondering if this is true or are they trying to get the price down.
Thanks for any help

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-30 03:22 PM by liata.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
0913151157.jpg    36.6 KB
0913151157.jpg

IMG_0763.JPG    53 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_0762.JPG    53.6 KB
IMG_0761.JPG    55.2 KB
D Crocker David Crocker
Kapaa, Hawaii, USA   USA
1990 Mazda MX-5 "Little Ble 2.0"
1997 Mazda MX-5 "The Black Hole"
I would recommend a T belt due to age .....it is rubber and will break down with age OVER 20 years old
It is nice to keep all original but better safe than sorry for using it as a driver
what price are you asking ?

liata Avatar
liata Linda Gilbert
Parkton, MD, USA   USA
Thanks for your response.I have decided to replace the belt ,just not to worry about it.
I'm asking $9,700, but I'm leaning towards keeping it and enjoying driving it.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Rewind Les W
Leeds, Yorkshire, UK   GBR
Definitely keep it if you enjoy driving it! It is rare to find one in this condition with such low mileage, it will definitely appreciate in value, don't even think of selling it, drive and enjoy it! Cheers, Les

Mozza Ken M
Warwick, Warwickshire, UK   GBR
Oh, if only it was right hand drive, I would have that off you in a flash.

Very, very tidy car. Mk1 Miata (MX5) are still climbing in price as more and more of them are getting scrapped off.
I personally would get the timing belt changed as well as the alternator and power steering belts.
While the cam cover is off, take the opportunity to replace the cam angle sensor O'Ring as well as they are only a dollar.
It will still need the engine oil changing regardless of mileage on a regular basis. I would have change the engine oil and filter once every couple of years.
Fuel goes off in time, fuel stabilizer additive for any long layup.
Other than that, drive occasionally and thoroughly enjoy your super original car.
Ken

Phil H Philip Holloway
Dorset, Bournemouth, UK   GBR
Even though it will not damage the engine (being a non interference type) if it snaps, the general rule for changing is 60,000 miles or 10 years max.

davzway David W
Fort McCoy, Florida, USA   USA
you may get variations in opinion regarding YEARS,, 7 to 10 years max,, and the 60,000 is max recommended miles; remembering how badly your engine is trashed if timing belt goes at any real speed. You MUST go past, removing both alternator and water pump belts to get to the Timing belt, have someone who KNOWS Miata's do the work,, had a DEAL a customized '92 NA (old guy spent 20k replacing everything from Motor set up for racing, HD tranny, heavier disc brakes and calipers, Koni adj Racing shocks, cold air induction, new top, racing seat and steering wheels w/4-pnt harness, custom wheels AND MORE) ALL RUINED by idiot in Garage who SAID he knew MIatia's.. After the job- Engine trashed with timing belt, engine removed six times, four heads and 2-years later had to take him to court for restitution).. While at it, would certainly put in NEW water pump, new hoses and double check electrical wiring- CAR looks cherry and should do nothing but go up in value over time. davzway

Mozza Ken M
Warwick, Warwickshire, UK   GBR
You wont trash a standard Miata Mk1 or Mk2 engine if the belt was to lets go.
May cause a problem if it were to fail if in some remote area.

liata Avatar
liata Linda Gilbert
Parkton, MD, USA   USA
Thanks for your input,I have replaced the timing belt and water pump.I plan on driving and enjoying my miata

Madison, Alabama, USA   USA
My 1999 Miata Manual says replace every 60K. But, yours does have 24 years on all the rubber in the car. I would take off the valve cover and take a quick look. I think you can see part of the belt there. In IMO it would probably give a decent estimate of the belt's condition. It will not be inexpensive unless you DIY or have a friend help you. I'm about to embark on this journey myself. Of course mine has 84k on it.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1998 Mazda MX 5

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links